No, They Should Not Have

Jai Kasera, Online Staff Writer

As party polarization has gradually increased, the days surrounding the presidential elections have been tense and tiring. As Head of School Paul Stellato stated, “looking back on the notes I took after the 2016 event, I was reminded of how difficult the day after was: students, faculty and parents were exhausted, emotions on both sides ran high, and, in the immediacy of the moment, we had no room to process and reflect on the meaning of the event and its outcome.” Nevertheless, we should not have had the day after the presidential election off this year. In order for us as a community to truly be understanding and accepting of one another, we must feel safe and comfortable discussing our emotions and conflicting views. By having November 4 off, we were unable to do so and are deprived of the chance to do this for another four years.

Should PDS Have Closed School on November 4?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

We, as a community, have to reach the point at which we feel comfortable talking and debating about any controversial issue in a respectful manner. As sophomore Dhruv Balaji noted, “I think processing the results with your peers is an essential part of understanding political perspectives.” By not being with our classmates the day after the elections, we cannot understand their political perspectives and form new opinions based on their points of view. Echoing this sentiment, senior Nazareth Mehreteab said, “I think it’s not good that PDS is giving the day off because, as a school community, I believe we should have time to process and discuss the election results on November 4 whether that may be having an advisory meeting or US gathering.”

The presidential election is, without a doubt, one of the most influential events in our country. It decides who will be in charge of leading our country for the next four years. Although the election cannot be exactly compared to a sports event, they are similar in the regard that we cannot change the outcome once it has been decided. Because of this, we should not have delayed discussing the results with each other. With portions of our community supporting one candidate and others supporting the opposing candidate, it was not possible that both groups would be content with the outcome. As such, it is imperative that we are not separated from each other, but instead have the chance to talk to one another and figure out the next steps that we can take to support one another while maintaining our political perspectives.