Uplifting the Voices of Princeton Day School

The Spokesman

The Spokesman

The Spokesman

Have a Listen!

Check out senior Sam Cohen’s playlist!

(Photo/Flickr)
Students Discuss PDS’ First Sikh Club
Harrison Bagga, News Editor • May 29, 2024
Answer These Questions and We'll Recommend a Taylor Swift Album For You ..

Continue Reading
Photo by Ena Marinkovic from Pexels
Answer these questions, and we'll guess your aesthetic!

Continue Reading
Photo by Magda Ehlers from Pexels
Think you're a Disney expert? Try this quiz.

Continue Reading
View All

Does Strength Training Benefit Students?

Strength Training has been offered as a seasonal Physical Education class for many years now. It is a popular choice for different types of students whose sport is currently not in season. Many enroll in the class to stay fit, while others want to improve their physical health with their friends. Several students expressed their thoughts on this PE option and what they benefit from it.

Strength Training instructor Eric Schnepf articulated, “Strength training benefits students for a few different reasons, both physically and mentally. Regular exercise leads to stronger muscles, joints, and bones.” He continued, “Exercise can help keep thinking, learning, and judgment skills sharp. Regular exercise is also known to help reduce stress and anxiety and help individuals sleep better.”

The Patrick Kerney ‘94 Fitness Center has many openings, from the morning before school hours to the evening until about 5 PM. Freshman Cy Cooper, a regular at the weight room, shared, “The fact that PDS has its own gym, where you don’t need to pay for a membership, is great.” Cooper added, “I did strength training in the fall and winter, usually in the morning and the afternoon, and I could get credit for something I already enjoyed.” 

Moreover, there are several types of fitness equipment from industry leaders Hammer Strength and Cybex. The most popular include power racks, dumbbells, kettlebells, treadmills, and ellipticals. Freshman Jasper Mackey, a Strength Training student in the winter, communicated, “I enjoy going there with my friends after school. I appreciate the many time slots, even in the morning. I’m not really trying to get fit, but seeing a gym for the first time was amazing. It was a valuable learning experience for me.” 

Finally, freshman Aiden Wu, a Strength Training student of the spring season, voiced that he was nervous at first to take this class. However, he was pleasantly surprised and greatly enjoyed going alone with friends.

Overall, Strength Training has benefitted many students in different ways. It opened their eyes to improving their physical health and the idea of regularly going to the gym. I personally enrolled in Strength Training in the fall and loved it. Working out in a school environment with friends has inspired me and many others to work on ourselves for now and hopefully for many years to come.