The Day School Reacts to Kobe Bryant’s Death

Aaron Phogat, Online News Editor

Sunday afternoon, January 26, 2020. The news spread like wildfire, leaving basketball fans around the world devastated. A helicopter had crashed, and with it, down went John Altobelli, Keri Altobelli, Alyssa Altobelli, Christina Mauser, Ara Zobayan, Sarah Chester, Payton Chester, Gianna Bryant, and Kobe Bryant. 

Sources say that the cause of the accident was heavy fog in the area,  decreasing visibility and causing the helicopter to crash into the side of a hill while the passengers were on the way to Kobe’s Mamba Sports Academy, where Gianna Bryant and her teammates had a basketball game. The helicopter was not equipped with a blackbox–a recording device found in many aircrafts used to determine closer details of aviation accidents– so not much information is available, but more investigations are underway. 

18x All Star, 2x scoring champion, 5x NBA Champion, 15x All-NBA, 12x All Defensive… the list goes on and on. It is without a doubt that Kobe has left behind a legacy that is unmatched; his stellar statistics and numerous honors are underlined by the fact that he was able to influence an entire generation to say his name every time they make a shot, be that a basketball flying through a net, a piece of paper going into the trash, or an article of clothing being launched into the laundry bin. “Pushing himself to his best, continually improving, putting in the hours of work – that’s the mamba mentality that many players today are inspired by, and [I have] mad respect for him for that. His love for his family, especially for his daughters, is undeniably amazing too,” says senior Luigi Soriano. 

Kobe Bryant’s untimely passing has forced me to reconsider our time on this planet. Perhaps it’s not about how long we live, but the lives we change for the better in the time that we have. Kobe impacted hundreds of millions of people. His energy will live on forever.

— Mr. McKinley

Although Kobe may no longer be with us, he lives on through the NBA as an All-star and through his fans as a role model. His legacy transcends him, with students and teachers from around PDS remarking on what he meant to them. As senior Aidan Njanja Fassu put it, “While I wasn’t a diehard Kobe fan, I think every basketball fan appreciates his influence on the game. He was a cultural icon both on and off the court and cherished by many.” 

From the Clippers speaking about him in their Thursday night game to the Empire State Building lighting up purple in his honor, to millions featuring this hero on their Instagrams, and to our very own Mr. McKinley sporting a Kobe #8 jersey, he will live in fond memory of countless communities. 

English teacher Mr. McKinley said it best when he noted, “Bryant possessed the rare combination of talent, intelligence, drive, and work ethic, a true competitor in every sense of the word. His transition to retirement seemed effortless and graceful. I was looking forward to seeing what came next for him. He’s on the Mt. Rushmore of professional basketball players for me, and I’ll never forget what he did for the game. His untimely passing has forced me to reconsider our time on this planet. Perhaps it’s not about how long we live, but the lives we change for the better in the time that we have. Kobe impacted hundreds of millions of people. His energy will live on forever.”