Student predicts and weighs in on 2015 MLB postseason

Ryan Bremer, Contributing Writer

With only a month to go in the 2015 MLB season, the postseason picture still is not completely clear. Now, the Los Angeles Dodgers have more or less secured their spot on top of the NL West. However, all of the other divisions have multiple teams battling it out for the top spot in the playoffs. This late-season conflict is not the only thing that makes this year special. Already, there have been six no-hitters (a game in which a pitcher does not give up any hits to the opposing team), and thirty other instances where pitchers took no-hit bids deep into the game, but lost them in the seventh inning or later.

One of the pitchers who shut down the Dodger’s bats is Chicago’s Jake Arrieta. Behind Jake’s great pitching, the Cubbies have seen a memorable season, and might just get to see a memorable postseason as well. Currently, the Cubs are holding the second NL Wild Card spot by eight and a half games over the San Francisco Giants. This would be their first playoff berth since 2008, looking to win their first World Series in nearly 100 years. However, they have to deal with the St. Louis Cardinals and Pittsburgh Pirates, two tough competitors who are ahead of them in the NL Central.

Perhaps no division race is as close as the AL East. The New York Yankees and Toronto Blue Jays are battling it out for the top spot, while the Baltimore Orioles are fighting to stay alive as they come off of a dismal August. The Blue Jays have attracted a lot of attention as they have become one of the hottest teams in baseball following the signings of shortstop Troy Tulowitzki and pitcher David Price. The Yanks, on the other hand have had a better-than-expected season following the retirement of their beloved shortstop and captain, Derek Jeter, and saw an exciting comeback performance by Alex Rodriguez. If they can stay healthy, they might just be able to rustle the Jays’ nest.

On the NL side of the East, the New York Mets are having a surprising season, pulling ahead in the standings after a sweep of division rival, the Washington Nationals. At present, they are leading the division by eight games, and the Nats are out of the second Wild Card spot by ten and a half games. Finally, after another disappointing year, the local Philadelphia Phillies are the first team to be mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.

Even though the start of the postseason is only a month away, there could be many changes to division leaders and Wild Card spot holders. Five out of eight divisions have the three top teams only within ten games of each other, meaning there will be plenty of movement in the coming weeks. It may already be “September baseball,” but the season is still far from being settled.