Uplifting the Voices of Princeton Day School

The Spokesman

The Spokesman

The Spokesman

Have a Listen!

Check out senior Sam Cohen’s playlist!

(Artwork/Kayla Zhang ’24)
National Shakespeare Competition
Amber Pancholi, Print Staff Writer • April 29, 2024
Answer These Questions and We'll Recommend a Taylor Swift Album For You ..

Continue Reading
Photo by Ena Marinkovic from Pexels
Answer these questions, and we'll guess your aesthetic!

Continue Reading
Photo by Magda Ehlers from Pexels
Think you're a Disney expert? Try this quiz.

Continue Reading
View All

From Bioethics to Ceramics: New and Returning Electives Offer New Opportunities for Students

Immerse yourself in a world of new possibilities! Next year, electives offer a multitude of opportunities for students to explore new subjects and dive into their passions.

The upcoming school year marks the first year of the new Bioethics elective. Taught by Head of School Kelley Nicholson-Flynn, the class strives to engage students into the realms of ethics and biology through meaningful discourse and debate. “The best classes are the ones where students have a range of ideas about what is right,” Dr. Nicholson-Flynn said. “You can learn from the other people in the class, even if you disagree with them–really being able to listen and understand what somebody else thinks.” Through these discussions, students will gain a greater understanding of issues from the ethics of eating meat to having an abortion. 

Aside from English and History electives, PDS also boasts a large selection of arts classes. “It’s an opportunity to pursue something that you wouldn’t normally be able to pursue,” said photography teacher Thatcher Cook, who teaches four classes ranging from the beginner level to advanced portfolio-making. “As an elective teacher, it is very nice to have students take my course because they chose to take it rather than it being required. That is pretty spectacular.” Moreover, many arts electives also offer a significantly smaller workload. “You just have to put in your effort,” sophomore Beatrix Hoekzema commented on her ceramics class, “I don’t think I’ve ever been stressed out about ceramics.” These low-stress, engaging, and hands-on electives offer a unique chance for students to pursue and discover their passions.

For students interested in STEM, the school offers a range of courses that provide an opportunity to give back to the community. “As of now, we have done units on making hands free cameras for those who have limited dexterity.” said sophomore Collin Myat, who takes Engineering. “We’re currently collecting data on the effects of earthquakes on model skyscrapers we built in class and how we can make them safer.” Along with these projects, the class has also reverse engineered a flashlight and collected data on coffee.

Regardless of the course, electives at Princeton Day School present a special opportunity to do what they love and find new passions.