Uplifting the Voices of Princeton Day School

The Spokesman

The Spokesman

The Spokesman

Have a Listen!

Check out senior Sam Cohen’s playlist!

(Photo/Flickr)
Kicks or Bricks: The Basketball Players of PDS’s Opinions
Adeola Egbeleye, Fashion Columnist • April 25, 2024
(Photo/Flickr)
Tackling Test Taking
April 25, 2024
Answer These Questions and We'll Recommend a Taylor Swift Album For You ..

Continue Reading
Photo by Ena Marinkovic from Pexels
Answer these questions, and we'll guess your aesthetic!

Continue Reading
Photo by Magda Ehlers from Pexels
Think you're a Disney expert? Try this quiz.

Continue Reading
View All

From Studio to Classroom: PDS Teachers Share Artistic Journeys in Gallery Artist Talks

(Photo/Amy Lin ’26)
Amy Lin
(Photo/Amy Lin ’26)

The PDS faculty artist talks in the Anne Reid ‘72 Gallery offered valuable firsthand insight into the practices of experienced, professional artists. All PDS visual arts teachers came together to participate and talk about their personal art practices, with extra time to answer questions from students. The Artist Talks were  available during C&C on January 10, 18, 24 and 31. Participants included Eric Rempe, Thatcher Cook, Melissa Myser, Ann Robideaux, David Burkett, Chris Maher, Suzanne Cunningham, and Gwen Shockey who shared their work in ceramics, digital art, dance, architecture, furniture design, and drawing and painting. Ms. Shockey stated that “one of the strongest things about the PDS art program is that all art teachers are working artists and have their own studio practices.” These talks gave the artists a chance to enlighten students about professional work environments and practices—knowledge that is incredibly important given that high school students are approaching college and soon have to decide on career paths.

Junior Carter Bergstein attended these talks and stated that students “don’t just get the insight into the art practice, but what built [it].” Junior Madeleine McKee felt the talks were very personal, as the teachers shared particular experiences that inspired their art and shaped their journeys. She recalled how Ms. Myser’s grandmother impacted her filmmaking, and how Ms. Robideaux was affected heavily by the COVID pandemic. “Struggles lead to art,” said McKee.

The teachers’ works remained in the gallery until March 1. If you missed these talks, be on the lookout for similar events. Perhaps one day, your work will be professionally published and showcased in the same gallery where your teachers’ art was exhibited.