NBA 2021 Champion Predictions

Jenna Galla, Online Staff Writer

The NBA Championship excites millions of fans across the United States each year. As a time to celebrate sports team spirit and pride, brag to friends, and place bets with others, all fans have their firm belief of who will win. Whether their beliefs stem from rankings, a pure gut feeling, or the hope their team will win, the championship never fails to foster morale.

Regardless of the reason for following NBA games, the 76th NBA season seems to have gathered lots of excitement this year. This season marks the first normal season since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, which, as a result, led to spirits being extra high. 

A little over a month into the 2021-2022 season, which began October 19, the predictions have already begun. The 2022 Championship Finals will take place June 2through June 19. According to Fastbreak, there are six top teams in the running to win the finals. 

There are two teams tied for 5th place: The Utah Jazz and the Los Angeles Clippers. Although seemingly the underdog, the Jazzis hopeful with player Donovan Mitchell, who led the team to victory last season when they held the best regular-season record. However, the Clippers have concerns over the health status of player Kawhi Leonard, who is vital to the team’s success, as he suffered an injury last season. 

The fourth-place team is the Golden State Warriors. Despite making the finals for five seasons in a row (three of which they won), the team failed to make it as far as the playoffs for the last two seasons. They are a team to fear, seemingly making a comeback this season.

Coming in second, are the Los Angeles Lakers. The Lakers’ roster is filled with famous names this season (the most on a single roster in NBA history): Russell Westbrook, Lebron James, Anthony Davis, Dwight Howard, and Carmelo Anthony. Despite the known fame and talent in the roster, there have been lots of injuries. The health of the team in the coming months will  be essential to their success. 

The second-runner up is the Milwaukee Bucks. As the 2021 NBA Finals champions, the Milwaukee Bucks is certainly one of the teams to watch out for.

Finally, the top team currently is the Brooklyn Nets. Again, health is essential to their success. Last year, star player Kyrie Irving was injured, unable to play after game seven. It is hoped that with Irving’s health back to normal, the team will be more successful this year. 

In the PDS community, it seems that a few students agree with these predictions. Junior Leigh Hillmanno is one of these students who are in agreement with the predictions: “I think the LA Lakers are going to win.” Juniors Mason McQueen and Bram Silva happen to disagree on the other hand. While McQueen believes the Miami Heat are in favor to win, Silva seems to favor the Chicago Bulls. Both students’ teams currently stand in the top ten, but these rankings are subject to change as the season progresses.

It is early in the season yet, but the predictions are standing strong. The NBA season is sure to be a nail-biter. 

Sources Cited

• Stinar, Ben. “Who Are the Favorites to Win the NBA Championship?” Fastbreak on FanNation, Fastbreak on FanNation, 12 Oct. 2021, https://www.si.com/fannation/nba/fastbreak/gambling/who-are-the-favorites-to-win-the-2022-nba-championship.