What can PDS Students do to Help get Rid of Stress?

Photo by energepic.com from Pexels

Maddie Weinstein, Online Staff Writer

As this 2020-2021 school year comes to a close, it is important for PDS students to take time to de-stress. With the end of the year coming soon and assignments piling up, balancing schoolwork and other activities can get overwhelming. So, what can we as students do to make this time a little less stressful? The best thing is to find activities that will keep you calm– something that makes you happy! 

PDS’s Director of Wellness Dr. Shah recommends two things “1. Know yourself and know when you are feeling uncomfortable. 2. Know what you will do when you need a break and allow yourself to do it.”

The first and most important thing you should do when you feel yourself getting overwhelmed is to stop and take a deep breath. Try to just sit quietly for a moment, and not think about schoolwork or whatever else may be causing you to worry. 

Physical exercise can also help. Whether it’s going for a run, dribbling a basketball, or taking a walk while listening to your favorite music, doing some kind of physical activity will give you more stress-relieving endorphins and improve your mood. Sophomore Jenna Galla shared “When I get stressed, I turn to doing exercise and it helps me a lot.” Focusing on one physical activity can help make your worries momentarily disappear, so that when you come back to what is making you stressed you are more calm and focused.

If physical activity does not sound appealing to you, there are tons of other things you could try! If you like making art, try putting your work down for a little while and take out a piece of paper to draw or paint on. If you don’t have time for that, something as simple as getting a hug from your friend or relative can help more than you might think.

The school year is almost over, and despite how stressful it can be we can all get through it and end the year on a high note!

Works Cited:

• Scott, Elizabeth. “17 Highly Effective Stress Relievers.” Verywell Mind, 8 Jan. 2020, www.verywellmind.com/tips-to-reduce-stress-3145195. 
  • “Exercise and Stress: Get Moving to Manage Stress.” Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 18 Aug. 2020, www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/exercise-and-stress/art-20044469#:~:text=Exercise%20increases%20your%20overall%20health,%2Dgood%20neurotransmitters%2C%20called%20endorphins.