The Best Foods to Eat During Quarantine

Madeline Chia

Drawing of the delicious grilled cheese you can make using the recipe attached. (Image/Madeline Chia ’21)

Skye Harris, Print News Editor

After three weeks of spring break, PDS has resumed classes online in response to the developing COVID-19 pandemic, which means PDS students and their families are joining the globe in social-distancing with the hope that we can slow the spread of the coronavirus. As students work from home and no longer have access to the beloved snack bar, many are wondering… what should I eat in quarantine?

“I love eating pineapple slices, but my favorite at-home snack is pistachio Oreos,” noted junior Natasha Ray. Ray isn’t alone in her fruit cravings as junior Gaby Namouni also loves to eat “dried fruits like strawberries, raspberries, or apples.” Fruit is a healthy snack option and a great way to replenish your energy after a long day of work. If you prefer a sweeter option, junior Abby Weinstein recommends a gummy fruit such as Welch’s Fruit Snacks.

I love to eat a variety of foods, such as frozen blueberries, pretzels, almonds, chocolate-covered strawberries, and peanut butter cups. For breakfast, an everything bagel with cream cheese always fills me up and tastes delicious. My go-to meal when I’m stuck at home for lunch or dinner is grilled cheese on sourdough. Here’s my secret recipe for the perfect sandwich:

Ingredients

1. 2 slices of sourdough bread
  2. Unsalted butter
  3. Olive Oil
  4. Cheddar Cheese

How to make it

1. Toast two slices of sourdough in a toaster until golden brown
  2. Slice enough cheddar cheese to cover one of your pieces of bread
  3. Melt a generous square of butter in a non-stick pan over medium heat
  4. Lay your pieces of bread on top of the buttered pan in a symmetrical fashion (like  butterfly wings)
  5. Cover one of your slices with the cheddar cheese, and drizzle olive oil on top
  6. Place the other slice of bread on top to cover the cheese
  7. Wait a few minutes for the cheese to melt, while pressing down on the top of the sandwich with a spatula
  8. Flip the sandwich to cook the other side
  9. Cut and enjoy!

Want video proof this recipe works? Good news: the Spokesman tried it for you! 🙂