PDS Takes On Spring Sports

(Photo: Princeton Day School Flickr)

Aaron Phogat, Online News Editor

With the winter season ending with a bang, it is without a doubt that PDS athletes and the PDS community are looking forward to the spring season. In case you weren’t aware, PDS competes in Boys/Girls Lacrosse, Boys Tennis, Baseball, Softball, Ice Skating, and Golf in the spring. 

Boys Varsity Tennis specifically looks forward to this season as they anticipate revamped leadership under new Head Coach Chris Rosensteel and returning Assistant Coach Jon Brown. Playing for Peddie during high school, Coach Rosensteel went on to play D3 tennis at the Stevens Institute of Technology. He continued with his passion for tennis after college and coached D3 tennis at The College of New Jersey and at Princeton Tennis Program. After Coach William Asch retired from coaching Boys Varsity Tennis after the 2018 season and after a 2019 season under Coach Jen Johnson with a shaky team-coach relationship, the Boys Varsity Tennis team is excited to have Coach Rosensteel onboard. With a lineup consisting of returning varsity players including myself, Neel Adusumilli, Andrew Marshall, Aaron Chu, Eric Leung, William Sedgley and consisting of new freshman and sophomore prospects, the team hopes to reach higher levels in the Mercer County Tennis tournament and in the Prep B tournament than they did in the rocky 2019 season. Placing 7th in the MCTs in the 2019 season and winning the Prep B tournament in the 2018 season, the team is training to maximize their chances of winning the MCTs, reclaim their throne in the 2020 season, and specifically overcome their biggest threat: the Pennington Boys Varsity Tennis Team. 

Boys Varsity Lacrosse will bear the loss of several of their star senior players, but this will open up spots for more players to step up and fill those important roles. Along with that, with a new coaching staff, the team expects to perform well against competition and score huge wins over rivals Hun and Lawrenceville. In the words of junior Trevor Kunkle, “[the team] aims to cap off the season with another MCT trophy and a Prep tournament trophy.”

Varsity Baseball is in a similar situation to Boys Varsity Lacrosse; the baseball team is losing five of their starters. However, one of their top players, senior John Carroll, is returning to the plate to play for the team. Hitting .550 last year with 2 walkout hits, Carroll anticipates a solid performance this season as well. As senior Tommy Bocian said, “We’re looking [forward] to have him anchor our top of the lineup and pitch for us. It should be a good season.”

Varsity Golf is looking forward to their change in coaching staff as well. Doug MacMillan, the new head coach, is a golf pro from Princeton Country Club. According to senior Alex DiNovi, “Having a coach with the ability to coach us out on the course as well as out on the driving range, couple with a smaller team than last year, will help everyone improve their games.” Despite a tough 2019 season and the loss of their number one golfer, senior team captains Chris Cecila and DiNovi look to push the team to the limits this year and obtain a winning record. 

Be sure to pop out to our games and show your support!