This Summer, I Came Out

A hand reveals its owner’s “rainbow love.”(Photo/Sharon McCutcheon/Unsplash)

Katie Jain, Online Opinions Editor

Over the summer, I decided to come out as bisexual to… a weirdly large amount of people.

It began at a program I did in June, when I gave a speech to the other 160 kids there. For lack of better or more interesting content in my life, my speech began: “I am a biracial bisexual woman living in a country facing one of its most divisive times in history. So, naturally, I am always confused.”

Revealing my true self gave me a strangely exhilarating feeling, and I did appreciate being seen for who I really am, as opposed to what people would have assumed otherwise. Deciding I wanted this attention and excitement to continue, I showed a video of the speech to my parents, effectively coming out to them as well. I then proceeded to come out to all the other students on my trip to Thailand…  and then afterwards to a collected assortment of PDS, PHS, Stuart, and Hun kids at the Cornerhouse retreat. At one point, I came out by writing a poem using the prompt: “Things I Would Never Tell ____,” about the time I tried to kiss my first grade best friend and she responded with “ew.” 

However, I can only describe my experience coming out in such a lighthearted fashion because I received almost only positive reactions. I have been privileged enough to be able to surround myself with tolerant people who will support me no matter how I identify, but I understand that this is not the case for so many across the world, and I am truly so grateful for the love I was met with. 

So, anyway, after coming out to a solid total of around 300 random people, I hung up a pride flag and cuffed my jeans- totally prepared to embrace bi life. Oh yeah, and then I came out to you in the Spokesman “Here’s What We’ve Been Doing This Summer” article.