The Spokesman

WHIP: Say Cheez

Back to Article
Back to Article

WHIP: Say Cheez

Courtesy of Say Cheez

Courtesy of Say Cheez

Courtesy of Say Cheez

Courtesy of Say Cheez

Spencer Knerr, Copy Editor

In one of the most inconspicuous locations in Princeton, one may not expect to find a delicious yet authentic cafe that specializes in an American lunch staple––the grilled cheese sandwich. Yet, right behind Thomas Sweet at 183 Nassau Street stands Say Cheez, a humble bistro with a huge personality. The place is reclusive; Say Cheez even admits on its website that it self-proclaims to be “the best-kept secret in Princeton.”

The venue itself is small and relaxed, giving a sense of authenticity and warmth. “Their vibe is homey and comfortable,” said Senior Zoë Cook about the atmosphere of the cafe. Sure, some view the restaurant as too small and tucked-away; according to Junior Maggie Madani, Say Cheez is “super cramped, without enough space to sit.” However, regardless of your opinion of the restaurant’s interior, one thing is certain: the food is extremely delicious.

Say Cheez has all you would expect from a traditional lunch cafe and more. The menu is composed mainly of sandwiches––paninis, gyros, and cheesesteaks––as well as other options, like omelets, soups, and empanadas. With 15 types of cheese (White American, Yellow American, Cheddar, Swiss, Mozzarella, Pepper Jack, Monterrey Jack, Muenster, Provolone, Colby Jack, Gruyere, Feta, Goat, Cream Cheese, and Vegan Cheese) incorporated into their various sandwiches, Say Cheez has a variety of personalized dining options.

While the number of cheese options may seem overwhelming, the cafe offers plenty of pre-designed sandwiches, so you do not have to spend all day deciding what to order. If you are in the mood for your basic grilled cheese sandwich, the “Grilled Cheez” is probably the way to go. For those seeking something less common, unique sandwiches from “The Sloppy Taco” (ground beef, jalapeños, cheese, sour cream, and corn chips all sandwiched between two slices of sourdough) to “The Beefy Mac” (brisket and gravy, mac and cheese, American cheese, and caramelized onions) may offer better choices. For culinary risk-takers, there is always the “Glazed and Confused”––a “bacon and cheddar cheese between two glazed donuts” (yes, you read that right). For the creative folks, there is even a build-your-own sandwich option where you can choose from their variety of proteins, bread, cheeses, toppings, and sauces to create the perfect personalized meal. Cook summed up Say Cheez in one simple phrase: “They reinvented the grilled cheese.”

So, where should you eat the next time you are looking for a quick bite in downtown Princeton? Stop by the hidden gem of the local cafe scene, and order yourself a “Smashed Meatball” or a “Dagwood.” You will have no regrets.