Barbara Maloney, Science Teacher

Ryan Donnelly, Features Editor

In her time here at Princeton Day, Barbara Maloney has touched many lives, both inside and outside of the classroom. Though she started teaching in 1976, she first came to this school in 1993 and became one of our most beloved science teachers. She has taught Freshman Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, and AP Biology, showing her broad knowledge of the life sciences. As she leaves PDS after 23 wonderful years, she will be leaving plenty of fond memories and admiring students in her wake.

Since she first walked through the gates, the school has seen many changes, including changes brought about by Ms. Maloney’s unique and caring presence. The year she began teaching at Princeton Day School was the year the new Lower School was opened. Over her many years teaching, the science labs and Campus Center were renovated, the new on-campus ice rink was built, and the Arts Atrium was constructed. Ms. Maloney has also seen many teachers and students come and go. Despite all of the changes, Ms. Maloney remarked that PDS culture has generally remained unchanged in over two decades.

Ms. Maloney has created lasting memories at PDS. When reminiscing about her favorite moments on campus, she immediately knew one of her favorite times was the night her rabbit gave birth to four bunnies at PDS. She stayed with her all night. She also fondly remembered the days when PDS was extremely successful at science competitions and events, such as when the school won a trophy at Science Olympiad and won top school in the county year after year for Merck Science Day. Another PDS favorite that Ms. Maloney discussed was the faculty book club that ran for 12 years. She also recalled as one her top PDS experiences the many Pioneers in Science lecturers, such as experts on 3D printing, and a member of Doctors Without Borders, that were brought to the school by the program.

Although she has enjoyed her time at PDS immensely, Ms. Maloney has decided it is time to move on. She says she will go on to “graduate with the seniors,” and take a period as a “gap,” as she is calling it. Where she will spend her time or how is still entirely unclear, especially to herself. “I’d like to take a shot at something completely different,” she said. She thinks she will probably work with a non-profit, though she will not rule out anything. After being a teacher for 40 years, she admits, “I need a small period … to be myself.” Primarily, she wants to figure what “myself” is, and what that really means to her. The Spokesman thanks Ms. Maloney for her many years of service at PDS and wishes her best of luck in all of her future endeavors.