Student reviews Made in America Festival

Olivia Nini, Contributing Writer

Beyoncé headlined, alongside Canadian singer/ songwriter The Weeknd, when Budweiser’s Made in America festival returned to Philadelphia on September 5 and 6 for its fourth year. Nearly 80,000 people came out under the city’s sun to see Made In America’s largest lineup to-date. This year, the festival showcased five stages, a large assortment of vendors, food trucks, and carnival games.

Opening with her newest remix of “Crazy in Love,” which was released only one day prior, Beyoncé entertained the adrenalized crowd at the Rocky Stage on Saturday night. “Queen Bey” performed a number of songs, ranging from brand-new releases, to songs from her older catalogue as a member of Destiny’s Child. Beyoncé’s show was completed by a number of background dancers, numerous costume changes, and a variety of impressive dance routines.

Fellow headliner, The Weeknd, closed the event on Sunday night. The singer opened his performance with his song “High for This,” which was released in his 2012 album, Trilogy. Following the first few numbers, his performance was ignited by a display of fireworks.

Other big names, such as Nick Jonas, Death Cab for Cutie, Modest Mouse, and Banks shared the stage this year on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. The festival also featured a strong lineup of artists from the electronic genre, including Axwell and Ingrosso, Bassnectar, A-Trak, and Duke Demont. If that lineup was not enough, the array of hip-hop artists for this year was far more impressive, with artists such as J. Cole, Meek Mill, Big Sean, G-Easy, Future, Action Bronston, and Post Malone all appearing.

During Meek Mill’s Saturday performance, the crowd was surprised to see his fiancé, Nicki Minaj, show up on stage. Word spread instantly, and a swarm of people gathered around to watch the well-known rapper’s amazing performance.

Concert-goers overwhelmingly agreed that the event was a major success this year. The show was live streamed by Tidal and is still availableonlineforthosewho could not attend the festival. Assuming the Labor Day fun returns to Philly next year, it would be wise to get your tickets early before it sells out – it is an experience not to be missed!