Uplifting the Voices of Princeton Day School

The Spokesman

The Spokesman

The Spokesman

Have a Listen!

Check out senior Sam Cohen’s playlist!

(Photo/Flickr)
Students Discuss PDS’ First Sikh Club
Harrison Bagga, News Editor • May 29, 2024
Answer These Questions and We'll Recommend a Taylor Swift Album For You ..

Continue Reading
Photo by Ena Marinkovic from Pexels
Answer these questions, and we'll guess your aesthetic!

Continue Reading
Photo by Magda Ehlers from Pexels
Think you're a Disney expert? Try this quiz.

Continue Reading
View All

Kara Swisher’s Visit to PDS

(Photo/Flickr)
(Photo/Flickr)

PDS Upper School has witnessed many visits during Day 1 community block gatherings. But, none could replace the notable visit made by Kara Swisher, a PDS Alumni. Swisher is a writer for The New York Times, and she has interviewed many CEOs of big tech companies, like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos. 

Many of Ms. Swisher’s strong remarks about the tech world created quite a buzz within the PDS community. Students were excited to see a new voice shine light on many issues that have never been addressed before. Junior Sanjana Thakur said, “I thought she was very well researched and had some great connections. It was really cool listening to her, and it was refreshing to have someone so brutally honest in her responses. It was really cool to learn about the interconnections between AI and the government.” 

While students agree with Sanjana, others have mixed opinions. Junior Nala Verlus states, “I think that she was a good person to talk to at our school, and she had some good opinions. But, I don’t think that the way she spoke to us was the correct manner. Overall, it was definitely an engaging talk, but I think that is also because of the language she was using.” 

Junior Sresta Aithraju has a mix of both opinions, stating “Kara Swisher was one of the most engaging speakers we have had at gathering. While some of her statements were controversial, she made some solid points and did a great job of getting us thinking about AI and the future. Her speech grabbed everyone’s attention and provided a conversation topic inside and outside of the classroom for the whole community including those who may not have interest in that field. It was unexpectedly an interesting gathering and was insightful overall. “

Regardless of the opinions our panthers have of Ms. Swisher, it is undeniable that her visit was a remarkable one, with a variety of students engaged and ready to ask questions. Her unapologetic comments were controversial, but pivotal.