The student news site of Princeton Day School

The Spokesman

Latest men’s trends on the runway

Courtesy of Vogue

Courtesy of Vogue

Courtesy of Vogue

Kali Radu, Arts Editor

The end of spring break usually marks the beginning of our shift from scarves, hats, fuzzy sweaters, and Bean Boots, to shorts, tees, and Sperrys.

As most of my previous articles have been targeted towards a female audience, I thought I should change things up and write this one for  our male readers. One recent trend that I have encountered is women looking at men’s fashion for inspiration and even purchasing a few items that are not necessarily unisex.

A major theme on the runways was the Great Outdoors, and many designers chose to feature windcheaters, backpacks, walking sandals, and hats. Prada constructed a whole collection around this theme, with a significant use of nylon material. Other designers featuring the “hiker” theme include Nasir Mazhar and Moncler.

1990s streetwear has also returned as a popular fashion trend. Designers come back to the minimalist 90s look almost every other season because it is a trend that is deeply ingrained in society. The runways featured the 90s look with a touch of “MTV award” glam. Inner-city outwear couture was also favored  by designers such as Astrid Andersen, Gosha Rubchinskiy, and MSGM.

An unusual trend for the runway is the oversized shoulder. This style is one that you see on the runway and applaud because that is the respectable thing to do. And then you try something on in the store and think that everybody that sees you wearing that certain piece will make fun of you, so you let the clothing be. This trend started with Demna Gvasalia when he showed his Balenciaga menswear collection, starting a one-man bid for super-sized shoulders. It can be seen with overcoats, suit jackets, and bombers as they can all be cut with very wide shoulders that give off a hybrid appeal.

One very familiar trend to most of the PDS community is the cap. Although it is restricted on campus, we know very well that it is a very present part of many guys’ every day appearance. It is called the “it-accessory” by designers such as Balenciaga, Acne Studios and A.P.C. Though this accessory is very basic, many designers have played around with color, texture, and design over the years and it has become an ongoing trend.

Backpacks are a school-friendly trend. Although our hallways are filled with black North Face, nude Jan Sport, and grey Herschel backpacks, this multi-use accessory has taken the runway of many well-known designers including Louis Vuitton, Prada, and Givenchy. Moreover, people have started using backpacks when traveling, knowing that their laptop will fit perfectly along with all the other items they bring along.

A final style that I wanted to highlight is checkerboard. Black and white checks have started coming into play and they give off a very peculiar look, similar to that of an optical illusion. This print is not always seen on runways, but it has been featured on the runway for both night and day wear by designers such as Givenchy and Facetasm.